Thursday, December 15, 2011

Shopping with Caitlin: Flirt

This past weekend marked the arrival of much anticipated winter weather, meaning it was time to finally break out my favorite mitten and hat set. A few minutes outside, and I realized that my fingers felt a bit drafty. As I quickly discovered, the moths that had surreptitiously plagued our closets for months, not satisfied with my wooly winter sweaters, had feasted on my mittens as well. With cold weather and chunky knits initially on my mind, I strolled along Fifth to see what warm things I could find.

 Flirt | 93 Fifth Avenue | 718-783-0364 | flirt-brooklyn.com

 What first strikes you about Flirt—after the light red benches outside—is its décor. The boutique’s vibrant and floral wallpaper and collection of antique furniture demand your attention as much as their assortment of playful, girly accessories and unique apparel. The items here can be pricey, but for good reason: the products are high quality, and you’re supporting independent designers. Flirt also offers basic sewing, knitting and craft classes at their studio space. Visit their website for more information.


Flirt has a wonderful selection of hats and mittens, but these convertible fingerless owl mittens ($40) from Wooden Ships by Paola Buendia were my pick. I’m a sucker for critter designs, and the owl decoration is subtle enough that I wouldn’t feel silly wearing them out and about. The knit owl cap ($64), also from Wooden Ships, is the perfect complement to the mittens. Hats can be a tough sell for some ladies (myself included) but this one fits wonderfully, snugly and attractively.


Unlike the quatrefoil studs at another shop on a certain Fifth Avenue, these clover earrings ($36) are classy and fabulous without the unpalatable price tag. They’d make a lovely present, for someone you know or just yourself.


Cooking has quickly developed into a new hobby of mine, just in time for the holidays. On Thanksgiving I baked sugar cookies with my sister, and as the flour diffused all over our darkly colored dinner clothes I lamented not having covered up before we embarked on such a messy project. This poppy apron by Funktion ($48) is cute, fun, and great for throwing on over your holiday dress while you’re get getting ready for a dinner party.

-Caitlin O'Connell

No comments:

Post a Comment