Thursday, December 22, 2011

Shopping With Caitlin: Scaredy Kat


Scaredy Kat | 232 Fifth Avenue | 718-623-1839 | www.scaredykatstore.com

I’ve returned to Scaredy Kat several times over the course of my holiday shopping on Fifth, most recently in that pre-Christmas panic. Before I felt overwhelmed by the enormity of my gift list, the shop was an obvious choice for finding the perfect office-appropriate holiday card (I settled on these alligator holiday cards by Egg Press, six cards for $16). Now that the holidays are in full swing, I’ve come to appreciate Scaredy Kat as an excellent resource for quality and novel gift decorations, stocking stuffers, and party accessories.



I usually find holiday wrapping paper to be a total bore—reams and reams of predictable patterns—so I was thrilled to find these individual sheets of paper ($3.75) during my last visit. Though not holiday-specific, the prints are wonderfully vintage and excellent quality. I picked up a sheet featuring a print of an early New York City transit map to wrap one of my Christmas gifts (one sheet perfectly covers your standard-sized retail gift box). To give the gift more of a holiday touch, I made some paper snowflakes to glue over the paper. At least in decoration, Brooklyn will have a white Christmas!



These miniature ornaments caught my eye as a fun and easy holiday gift for a younger member of the family. I picked up the Hello Kitty set ($13.95) for my sister, who will enjoy using the ornaments as decorations even after the holidays have passed.



Seeing these Rudolph, the Red-nosed Reindeer party crackers ($14.95) made me wish so badly that I was hosting a holiday party of my own. Add silly paper hats and an activity that pops to a boozy soiree, and you’re got yourself a memorable night.

And a little something extra, if you’re still not feeling the holiday spirit amidst this new onset of uncomfortably warm weather, visit their blog, Kat Treats, to download their free holiday mix.


-Caitlin O'Connell

No comments:

Post a Comment