Friday, September 30, 2011
Thrift Stores, Stoop Sales, Stories and Park Slope [PS Patch]
What to do in Park Slope When… [FIPS]
More Attacks and Fears over the Slope Sex Fiend [Brookyn Paper ]
Park (Slope) [Brooklyn Spoke]
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
The 6th Annual Haunted Halloween Carnival will be held on Saturday October 29th at the 1st Street Recreation Center of PS 372 from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. Admission will be FREE.
This will be a busy, fun event: $1 snacks, games, and activities, $2 haunted house, $3 bounce castle. Plus, Jedi nights, Stormtroopers, R2-D2, puppet and mask making, raffles, prizes and more!
Save the date!
Happy New Year to all of our Jewish friends!
Just a reminder that Miriam has a special Rosh Hashanah menu through October 2nd, if you are looking for something special to eat. Also, don't forget to stop by one of Fifth Avenue's florists for a quick gift for your dinner hosts. We hear that ZuZu's Petals will have made-to-order centerpieces and holiday bouquets ready for pickup or delivery. Loose bouquets from $35 and arrangements in vases start at $65.
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
The Jewish New Year is fast approaching. If you are looking for a place to celebrate or you need something special to serve your guests at home, local Israeli restaurant Miriam (79 Fifth Avenue) has created a holiday menu that you should know about:
* Chicken noodle soup with Jewish meat dumplings
* Gefilte fish with garlic lemon carrots, cabbage salad and horseradish beet paste
* Chopped liver with caramelized onions in a cucumber shell
* Brisket with noodle kugel and sautéed lemon garlic string beans
* Roasted quail stuffed with Israeli couscous , roasted butternut squash and pumpkin seeds
* Apple honey cake with cardamom infused whipped cream.
The menu is available in the restaurant, as take-out or through Miriam's catering service from September 28 - October 2nd. For more information, go to miriamrestaurant.com.
If there are any other Fifth Avenue restaurants that will be serving special Rosh Hashanah meals this week, let us know and we'll post it!
Monday, September 26, 2011
More details are available in The Brooklyn Paper.
Friday, September 23, 2011
The Best Football Bars in Park Slope [PS Patch]
Sun Spot: Park Slope Co-op Goes 'Solar Thermal' to Heat Its Water. Should You? [Habitat Mag]
Park Slope is a Community with a Capital C [PS Patch]
The Playground Battle of Park Slope [FIPS]
Wednesday, September 21, 2011
The Park Slope Fifth Avenue BID has announced a new, upcoming event.
On Wednesday, November 9th and Thursday, November 10th, there will be music in the streets and $5 dollar deals in stores, bars and restaurants along the Avenue from Dean to 18th Streets, from 7-9 pm.
More details to come but, for now, Save at the Dates!
The next meet-up will be hosted by our friend Caitlin, aka Becoming Brooklyn, and OpenSky, a social network for shoppers. If you are a Brooklyn blogger, techie, writer, tweeter, or you just love Brooklyn, come on down to Mission Dolores (249 4th Avenue) at 7:00 PM on Tuesday, September 27th and join the party!
We hope to see you there! RSVP here. The event is free!
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
This year’s Park Slope Halloween Parade will take place on October 31st (of course). It will start at 6:30 pm at 14th Street and 7th Avenue, travel down 7th Avenue to 3rd Street, turn left, and end at 5th Avenue. This year's theme is...BOO-Klyn.
Save the date!
Monday, September 19, 2011
- Dr Brendan, an Apple computer and device repair shop, celebrated its grand opening on Saturday. The new space is located at 171 Fifth Avenue, in the former Madison Rose Maternity space.
- A new toy store called Bubblez opened up at 347a Fifth Avenue. Learn more about it from Here's Park Slope.
- The NG Designer Shoes space at 586 Fifth Avenue seems to be acting as some sort of mattress showroom, although no information was posted on the windows at the time
- A new bar called Uncle Barry's is opening at 58 Fifth Avenue. Any bar that is located near the future nets arena is likely to be in a good position to do well. Good timing!
- A sign was posted in the former Blockbuster Video site (550 Fifth Avenue), announcing that a Ricky's was moving into the space, soon. Not sure if the sign mentioned if it was a pop-up store or a permanent location. Anyone know?
- And, of course, Filfila Falafel opened in the space formerly known as Pita Hut (310 9th Street, near Fifth Avenue). We're looking forward to trying it for lunch!
Friday, September 16, 2011
The Lost Members of Squad 1 [PS Patch]
So, Will Brooklyn Benefit From the City’s ‘Bike Share’ Plan? [Brooklyn Paper Web]
The Best of NY Craft Beer Week, Sept. 16-25 [L Magazine]
Celebrate the Community Bookstore's 40th Anniversary [Park Slope Parents]
Also, 5th Avenue Fitness Collective is celebrating its 3 year anniversary (late, thanks to Hurricane Irene) on Saturday, the 17th, 11am to 3pm. Free fitness classes, free food, prizes and other fun stuff at our open house anniversary party. Drop by!
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Tonight's the night, rain or shine!
Stop by the Google Places table at 269 Fifth Avenue (corner of 1st St. at TD Bank) where they'll offer free tickets redeemable for a $5 food or drink special at a participating business and hand out some Google swag. The first 150 customers will be eligible. In addition, as you walk along the avenue, participants may have free samples for you to try. Complimentary dessert will be available at 4th Street and 5th Avenue, with music by The Moonlighters. Finally, the Park Slope Fifth Avenue BID has hired a small bus to transport people around the district for free so that you can, for example, get your free $5 Google ticket at TD Bank and then exchange it for Vegan Red Velvet Cake at Has-Beans more easily.
Below is a list of some of the participating businesses. A final printed list will be available at the Google Places table. The list will also be available at parkslopefifthavenuebid.com on your smartphone:
- El Viejo Yayo - 36 5th Avenue (Cuban Sandwich)
- Sky Ice - 63 5th Avenue(Ice Cream)
- Juice Masters - 77 5th Avenue (Kale, Apple, Ginger and Lemon)
- Los Pollitos - 148 5th Avenue (Margarita)
- Kiku - 177 5th Avenue (Angel Roll)
- LOBO - 188 5th Avenue (nachos, salsa and queso)
- 200 Fifth - 200 5th Avenue (any Brooklyn-made draft beer)
- Comida - 230 5th Avenue (Fresh Lime Frozen Margarita)
- Aunt Suzies - 247 5th Avenue (Any pasta dish, excluding fancy pasta)
- Trois Pommes Patisserie - 260 5th Avenue(Velvet Cake)
- Baluchis - 310 5th Avenue (Cucumber Lemonaid *Alcohol)
- M and S Prime Meats - 312 5th Avenue (1 lb ball of fresh mozarella)
- El Sito Boriquen - 341 5th Avenue (Bacaitos or Pastelitos)
- Colombia - 376 5th Avenue (Sampler Dish $12 value)
- Tacos Nuevo Mexico - 491 5th Avenue (Jalapeño Margarita)
- Grills Delight and Juice Bar - 587 5th Avenue (Large Smoothie or Fresh Juice)
- Has-Beans - 620 5th Avenue (Vegan Red Velvet Cake)
- Alchemy - 56 5th Avenue (Ribs)
- Culture An American Yogurt Company - 331 5th Avenue (Frozen Yogurt)
- Ginger's Bar - 363 5th Avenue (Lemon Drop)
- Perch - 365 5th Avenue (Nachos)
- Peppino's - 469 5th Avenue (Personal Pan Pie)
- Timboo's 477 5th Avenue (Draft Beer or House Wine)
- Edible Arrangements - 500A 5th Avenue
- Energy Fuel - 606A 5th Avenue (Falafapita)
- Rachel's Taqueria - 408 5th Avenue (Margarita)
- Campo De Fiori - 187 5th Avenue (Slice of pizza and salad)
- Fornino Park Slope - 256 5th Avenue (Glass of house wine or draft beer)
- El Pollito Mexicano - 119 5th Avenue (Chicken)
- Petes Pizzeria & Bar - 289 5th Avenue (Sangria or Wine)
- AOC Bistro - 259 5th Avenue (French Burger)
- Bagel World - 339 5th Avenue (any $5 item)
- Bagel Factory - 612 5th Avenue (any $5 item)
Sponsored by Google Places, TD Bank and the Park Slope Fifth Avenue BID.
Just a quick reminder that A Taste of 5th is taking place TOMORROW from 6 - 8 pm, rain or shine. We'll post the final list of participants tomorrow but, in the meantime, you can see the latest on the event at parkslopefifthavenuebid.com/tasteof5th.
Make sure to get to the Google Places table at TD Bank early so that you can get your free $5 food and drink ticket!
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Lots going on in Park Slope, this week. Here's another event that we just learned about:
Fifth Avenue's newest tenant, Dr Brendan Mac Repair (171 Fifth Avenue) is throwing a Grand Opening party this Friday, September 16th. Drop by their new shop, have a drink, sample some McClure's Pickles and eat food from Frites and Meats. Oh, and learn more about Dr. Brendan Mac Repair.
Sounds like our kind of party. See you there!
Sunday, September 11, 2011
Park Slope is rallying in response to recent attacks on women in the neighborhood.
On Wednesday, September 14, join activists from Safe Slope and your neighbors for a rally and candlelight vigil. Meet at 8 pm at the Prospect Avenue R train stop (4th Avenue and 17th Street) and walk to Detective Joseph Mayrose Park. For more details, download the rally flier here (.PDF).
Saturday, September 10, 2011
The event will be simple and understated. Performers from Opera on Tap will be on hand to sing patriotic and inspirational songs and poems will be read.
Stop by if you can.
Friday, September 9, 2011
Park Slope Small Business Owner Shares Tips on How To Increase Website Traffic [PR Web]
More Details on the Soon-to-Open Park Slope Fleisher’s [Brownstoner]
Back to School: Cure the Blues with After School Fun [Park Slope Patch]
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
One week until A Taste of Fifth! Join us on September 15th, 6-8pm. Stop by the Google Places table at 269 Fifth Avenue (corner of 1st St. at TD Bank) where they'll offer free tickets redeemable for a $5 food or drink special at a participating business and hand out some Google swag. The first 150 customers will be eligible.
Enjoy free samples at participating businesses, have a free dessert at 4th Street and Fifth Avenue with coffee and music by the Moonlighters (check out their performance at Dancing Under the Stars here).
Below is a list of some of the participating businesses, which will also be offering a $5 Taste of Fifth Ave food or drink special (and maybe even some free samples if you stop by):
El Viejo Yayo - 36 5th Avenue
Sky Ice - 63 5th Avenue
Juice Masters - 77 5th Avenue
Los Pollitos - 148 5th Avenue
Kiku - 177 5th Avenue
LOBO - 188 5th Avenue
200 Fifth - 200 5th Avenue
Comida - 230 5th Avenue
Aunt Suzies - 247 5th Avenue
Trois Pammes Patisserie - 260 5th Avenue
Baluchis - 310 5th Avenue
M and S Prime Meats - 312 5th Avenue
El Sito Boriquen - 341 5th Avenue
Colombia - 376 5th Avenue
Coco Roco - 392 5th Avenue
Tacos Nuevo Mexico - 491 5th Avenue
Grills Delight and Juice Bar - 587 5th Avenue
Has-Beans - 620 5th Avenue
Alchemy - 56 5th Avenue
Culture An American Yogurt Company - 331 5th Avenue
Ginger's Bar - 363 5th Avenue
Perch - 365 5th Avenue
Kappa Sake House - 388 5th Avenue
Peppino's - 469 5th Avenue
Timboo's 477 5th Avenue
Edible Arrangements - 500A 5th Avenue
Energy Fuel - 606A 5th Avenue
Rachel's Taqueria - 408 5th Avenue
V-Spot - 156 5th Avenue
Campo De Fiori - 187 5th Avenue
Fornino Park Slope - 256 5th Avenue
Sponsored by Google Places (@GoogleNYC on Twitter and on Facebook), TD Bank and the Park Slope Fifth Avenue BID. RSVP for the event via Facebook!
Keep up with the latest on the event at parkslopefifthavenuebid.com/tasteof5th or check out the BID's website on your smartphone for a list of participants on the go!
Tuesday, September 6, 2011
There was a time (perhaps from the late 1970's to the early 1980's) when everyone had a framed silhouette of their kids in their living room. Now, of course, in a world of smart phones, laptops, tablets and digital cameras, the art of creating silhouettes from paper is nearly lost (unless there is a app for that).
Enter: Karl Johnson. Karl is a master silhouette artist, traveling the world cutting silhouettes of all shapes and sizes, and in just minutes (and using only a pair of scissors). Amazingly, Karl has limited vision (he can only see from his right eye), which allows him to see and judge the world in a vastly different way than most people. This ability lends itself perfectly to cutting silhouettes, which Karl has been doing since he was ten years old.
On Saturday September 10th, Fifth Avenue's Pink Olive will host Karl from 11am to 3pm. Children and adults of all ages are welcome! Come down and get a silhouette done in just 5 minutes!
Monday, September 5, 2011
Before we put Dancing Under the Stars to rest, though, we wanted to share two more videos from the final week of August.
First, you have to check out The Backyard Boys put on an incredible Brooklyn-Style Square Dance on 4th Street:
And, of course, here are some clips from the last two performances by Rolie Polie Guacamole:
We're looking forward to dancing next year, especially since the park reconstruction should be completed, by then. In the meantime, we propose a new dancing event: Dancing Under the Snow. This December. Who's with us? Anyone?
On behalf of the gang at All About Fifth and the Park Slope Fifth Avenue BID, enjoy!
Location:Have a Happy Labor Day!
Friday, September 2, 2011
New York City's Nanny State Targets Dogs in Bars [The Atlantic]
“Smart Drug” Finds a Market Niche in Park Slope [Brooklyn Ink]
Park Slope Gets its Groove Back with Mission Dolores Bar [BAS]
Man Who Has Raped One Woman and Attacked 5 Others Still at Large in Brooklyn [PS Patch]